Monday, May 23, 2016

Trouble renaming IIS Website.

I have a web server. IIS on Windows Server 2008 R2. It'a a production server which runs many applications for my company.



Every time I open the IIS Manager I can see that "Defaults" as the name of my website. It really itch my eyes for month. But today I decided to change the name to something else.I think about name it the same as the domain name. So I try right-clicking the "Defaults". Owh, there's a "rename". Maybe I should try it.





After renaming it to my preference, this message appear



Huh? but let just click on OK. After that I can no longer see the apps under my newly named website. OMG, all my apps gone. whats happening?




 I try to browse the my website URL. OMG its an error.



What should I do? I try renaming it back to "Defaults". The the app list reappear. Then try again to browse the site. no error. Phew I'm saved.

I'm thinking, If there's a rename function to easily change the running website name, why I got an error? Or is there any steps to follow?

After some thinking, I try to rename it again.same results.Maybe I should rename it after I stop the service and restart it back?


ps: I will try to reproduce it in a virtual machine later. Not hurt to use the "Defaults" name anyway. But next time if I want to try something, I must avoid testing on the production server. My heart almost stopped.

No comments:

Post a Comment